My name is Simon Forsyth and I am a counsellor, psychotherapist and lecturer. I am also an accredited member of the Irish Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (IACP).
I am an integrative therapist with a strong humanistic foundation. This means that while I may draw on ideas and techniques from various modes of therapy as best suits the needs of the client, the backbone of my work is firmly based on the ideals of humanistic approaches and their belief that everyone has an in-built capacity to grow and find their place in the world. I don’t believe that pride in oneself should be reserved for a lucky few.
Working with a counsellor gives you a confidential space where you can be yourself. Whatever it is that you are struggling with or wanting to explore can be brought into the room and kept safe there for as long as you need. My aim is to offer you an accepting, non-judgemental environment where you are really listened to, where you can grow, and where you can find your own answers, in your own time.
I am a member of the LGBTQ+ community and am passionate about diversity. I have worked with people from an array of backgrounds and life experiences, of different ages, genders, nationalities, sexualities, cultures, and spiritual beliefs – I treat each client’s unique story with the same openness and respect, and I look forward to hearing yours. Please note, however, that I do not offer child and adolescent or couples counselling or counselling specifically for addiction.
Below are some common areas people may seek to explore in therapy and which I have helped clients work with:
- Self-esteem, self-worth, self-confidence
- Personal development and finding meaning
- Major life decisions and periods of transition
- Gender, sexuality and relationship issues
- LGBTQIA+ identity
- Grief and loss
- Anxiety and worry
- Depression and low mood (feeling down/out of sorts)
- Work/College-related stress
- Covid-19-related uncertainty
- Traumas, such as abuse and bullying
- Family dynamics and impactful childhood experiences
- Overwhelming feelings, such as anger, shame, hurt and self-loathing